Thankfulness – Gratitude – Appreciation – We use these words all the time: “Thanks for the gift”, “I appreciate your help”, “I am grateful for your presence here tonight”, yet do we experience their power and their depth? These words and ways of “being” are exceptional tools for creating a “Come to the Edge Today” life. Why are they so impactful?
- Living a thank-full life just feels good!
- Gratitude is the “magic pill” – when feeling bad, physically or emotionally, give thanks! You are guaranteed to feel better!
- Living in a spirit of appreciation, there is a natural expectation that good things are always coming my way
- Gratitude opens a pathway for receiving love
- Thankful living opens your heart to new solutions and new ideas
- Thanksgiving takes you out of your mind thoughts and moves you to your “heart thoughts”
- Because the mind can only hold one thought at a time, it is impossible to be grateful and feel sorry for yourself at the same time (try it!). Therefore, gratitude is the perfect tool for getting you “unstuck” from negative/self pitying thoughts
- Appreciation calls forth all the senses. For example, stopping to appreciate what you are seeing, hearing, tasting, touching, smelling and feeling allows the moment to become exceptionally “alive” and rich
- Gratitude slows down a busy day because you are pausing to be aware of what is before you
- Gratitude instantly provides a new and bigger perspective about the topic
- Being thank-full is fun (life is supposed to be fun, remember?)
- You get what you think about
- Living in a spirit of appreciation, you are living in the present moment. Even if you are appreciating past or future events, the grateful moment is “now”.
- Because of quantum physics, it is now known that the cells of your body respond favorably to positive thoughts
- Appreciation opens new paths for receiving
- Gratitude tells the Universe you want more
- Thankfulness creates positive habits which shapes your behavior
- Gratitude grows – you can start small and expand
- You will enjoy yourself (and others) more
- But mostly, feeling grateful just feels good!
*The words gratitude, appreciation and thankfulness are used interchangeably for this conversation)
“Gratitude-It Worked For The ‘Gurus’!” looks at gratitude through the eyes of Wise Ones throughout the ages and how you can develop the habit of living a thank-full life.
Today’s “leaping” exercise: Go outside and walk for a minimum of 15 minutes with the intention of thinking ONLY thoughts of gratitude. Then, pause your thoughts for a few minutes and try to “feel” appreciation, “feel” gratitude. Remember to use all of your senses. When you return, write your experience in your journal. Repeat daily and enjoy!
Gratefully submitted by Joan Kappes
If you would like to regularly “Come to the Edge Today” and receive updated posts via your email, simply subscribe (see column at the right of this page where it says “Enter your first name and email address, then hit submit”). Please share these inspirations with friends on Facebook, Twitter, etc! Let’s “soar’ together!Tweet