If you are here at “Come to the Edge Today”, then you are ready to use 4 of the most powerful life sculpting tools available! It is time to “mold the clay” of your life. (How exciting is that??) These are useful and important gifts because if you are not the sculptor of your clay, then your life will be shaped by others, and we all know that is no fun!
These tools are actually simple to use and can be used by anyone.
The 4 most powerful life-sculpting tools:
- You get what you think about
- You get what you believe
- ‘Be aware’ of what you think and believe
- Intentionally shape your thoughts and beliefs to form the life of your dreams
Yes, you have total freedom to choose ALL your thoughts and beliefs. (It’s one of the perks of being human!) This is profound, so I’ll repeat it again: You get what you think about; you get what you believe AND you have total freedom to choose ALL your thoughts and beliefs. It’s quite a gift!
These sculpting tools are available to everyone, however some sculptors do not use any of these tools; their creation often looks haphazard or reminiscent of another’s. Other sculptors, because of their total commitment, become highly skilled masters creating intentional, beautiful pieces of art.
Let’s take a brief look at each tool.
The Awareness tool makes the tools of thought and belief useable. Without utilizing this tool, the others are beyond the sculptor’s reach and cannot be accessed. This tool may be applied to anything, but in this case, awareness of thoughts and beliefs are the focal points. The use and development of the awareness tool is crucial for the successful creation of your masterpiece – the life of your dreams.
Thoughts and beliefs are your sculpting tools; they shape and form the clay, which is your life. (Future posts will explore in depth, the topic of thoughts and beliefs.) Today, let’s begin with the basics so you can begin sculpting now!
Intentionally shaping your thoughts and beliefs is the 4th tool. It is the driver of the other tools that allows the art to progress according to the sculptors desires. It is also the catalyst for turning “on” the awareness tool.
Today’s “leaping” exercise: It is time to develop the habit of being aware of your thoughts and beliefs. (In future discussions we’ll show you how to actively use them to shape your life experience!)
- Using your “intention” tool, find a small, portable notebook; carry it with you everywhere and commit to recording awareness of thought as they occur (this is very important). Do this for 21 days.
- Write the following in the front of the notebook: “Because I am the sculptor of my life, I intend to train myself to become aware of my thoughts and beliefs. With each observation, I am becoming more aware of my thoughts and beliefs. With this new awareness, I am free to choose which are serving me and which are not. With this new awareness, I am thankfully creating my masterpiece – the life of my dreams.” Read daily.
- Awareness training: Intend and commit to writing a minimum of 10 thoughts and beliefs per day (the more the better). The thoughts can be about anything. For example: You just had a confrontation with your boss and wrote this thought: “Feeling terrible about this meeting with my boss. She is such an incompetent manager. She should be fired.” (Note: Simply write what you thought – no judgments)
- Next, ask yourself, “What is my belief about that thought or about that situation?” This exercise, in time, will help you become aware of beliefs underlying your thoughts. (a very important skill!) Begin this section with “I believe that….” Using the above example: “I believe that I am right and no one but me should be calling the shots on this project… I have to be right because I believe that I need this bonus or there won’t be enough money to pay my upcoming bills.”
- If the underlying belief isn’t immediately apparent, that is ok. Leave space in your notebook; ponder it and it will become clear.
- Every few days, read your notes. Become aware of beliefs, patterns, or whatever is showing up for you. Become aware!
As you continue using these tools, you will naturally become more aware of your thoughts and beliefs (the point of this exercise). This is a learned skill – a new habit. Become a master!
“With awareness comes choice- with choice comes freedom” – JK
Stay tuned – more to come on this important “Come to the Edge Today” topic! If you want to be automatically notified via email, when the next post is published, simply subscribe (see column at the right of this page where it says “Enter your first name and email address, then hit submit.
You are such a beautiful sculptor – Joan Kappes
Photos courtesy of TinyPicTweet